Passengers wishing to depart from BER Airport (Terminal 1-2) can travel there from Berlin, Potsdam and locations in the surrounding area using the new Airport Express (FEX), regional trains, local S-Bahn trains, as well as some Intercity (IC) connections and bus services. The new airport railway station is located below Terminal 1. Local S-Bahn trains will still run to Terminal 5 (formerly Schönefeld station). This also provides a fast and regular connection between the terminals.
Specifically, the following connections are planned:
- The new Airport Express (FEX) will travel between Berlin Hbf. (Central Station) and BER Terminal 1-2 every 30 minutes. The train journey will take about 30 minutes and trains will also stop in Berlin Gesundbrunnen and at Ostkreuz station. Together with the current RE7 and RB14 lines, there will be fast connections between Berlin Central Station and Ostkreuz and BER T1-2 four times an hour during the day.
- The RE7, RB14 and RB22 lines also offer direct hourly connections to BER Terminal 1-2 from Potsdam, Königs Wusterhausen, Nauen and Wünsdorf-Waldstadt.
- From many other places in Brandenburg, BER can be reached by changing trains only once in Berlin, Potsdam or Königs Wusterhausen.
- The S9 and S45 S-Bahn lines will be extended from Schönefeld, BER’s new Terminal 5, via Wassmannsdorf to Terminal 1-2. The lines will run every 20 minutes, so that there will be a total of 6 services an hour.
- At the same time, the local S-Bahn train also allows people to travel from one terminal to the other in just 8 minutes approximately every 10 minutes.
- The new Rostock-Berlin-Dresden Intercity line will stop at BER Airport T1-2 every two hours and so connect BER to the German long-distance rail network. After Elsterwerda and Doberlug-Kirchhain, the IC trains can also be used with VBB tickets.